Wednesday 23 October 2013

Salt Beef Dinner aka Jigg's Dinner

I love salt beef, maybe more than most people. I don't soak or pre boil my salt beef or cut any of the fat off, I love the fat. This is probably one of the most unhealthy meals I eat, because I eat the fat and it's filled with so much sodium...and well, I really can't help myself, I find the biggest plate I can and fill it up! This is another traditional Newfoundland meal, however, the salt beef is usually cooked as a side meat with another roasted meat as the main meat. Some people make it with pease pudding as well, I don't. I have never had a salt beef meal I didn't enjoy, although, I have to say I do like mine the best, nobody seems to make it as salty as I do. It's so simple to do, it does take alot of time to cook but it's worth it!
Here is a plate that I had at Thanksgiving, so there was some turkey on the plate too. What you don't see is the homemade cranberry sauce and homemade mustard pickles that were eaten with this, I had to make some room on the plate before I could add them!

1 bucket of salt beef , here's the kind I use, I use a whole pail if I don't have any other meat cooked, if I have other meat I use 1/2 -3/4 of the bucket
7- 8 carrots, peeled
1 turnip (rutabaga) peeled and cut into big chunks
1 cabbage, cut into wedges
8-10 potato

The night before, if you want, soak your salt beef in cold water, in the fridge. If not, cut your beef into chunks and add to a big stock pot filled about halfway with water. Some people pre boil their beef, if you want to do that, bring it to a boil, then drain the water and refill it half way with water again. 

Boil the beef, covered,for about 1.5 hours. Then add the carrot, turnip and cabbage to the pot. Cover again, boil for about another 45 minutes. Put the potato in and boil for 30 minutes.

Take it off the heat, pour as much water as you can out. I use some of the liquid for my gravy. Separate all the vegetables. Mash the turnip with little bit of pepper and butter. 




My mom makes doughboys with our dinner, I can never get them right so I don't have a recipe for them.

I also make dressing, also known as stuffing, with my dinner. It is super easy to make.


1 loaf of french bread
2 tbsp dried savory
1/2 small onion diced
1/2 cup liquid from the salt beef
2 tbsp of butter, cubed

Make bread crumbs out of the bread. I use a mix of chunks and crumbs. Then mix everything in a large bowl. Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Here's my turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment