Wednesday 9 October 2013

Beef and Moose Barley Soup

I ate moose when I was young and hated it. Well, it was more like I hated any kind of meat my Mom cooked. I still don't eat much of what she cooks now. An Aunt of mine was visiting from  Newfoundland not that long ago. She was cooking a big salt beef dinner and moose. After a lot of going back in forth in my mind, I decided to try it. I loved it! I was able to get my hands on some moose recently but it was a variety of steaks and minced moose. There was no way I was putting a strip loin or tenderloin in my slow cooker, but I had one inside moose steak. So I bought some eye of round steaks and made some soup for my lunch. I prep my food for the week almost every weekend. I've blogged about some of the stuff I've made here, here, here and here. Soup is so easy for me to put in a thermos and have a hot lunch when I get tired of cold lunches. You could easily make this with all moose or all beef.


 12 oz eye of round
10 oz inside moose steak
2 backs of beef bouillon
10 cups of water
1 sweet potato
2 medium yukon gold potatoes
4 small carrot
2 turnips
2 red pepper
Couple sprigs of thyme
S&P
1 tomato
1 green onion
¼ cup barley, rinsed

 Cut the meat in 1 inch cubes. Cut the vegetables about the same size. Brown you meat in a pan, then put it in the slow cooker. Throw everything else in. Cook for 12 hours on medium.

This made enough for 2 weeks, I froze half of it. I was also thinking about how great it would be with some salt beef in it! Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment